Friday, October 13, 2006

Gossiping

Telling that we don't gossip is a farce. Is it true that always women gossip ? No its not true. Are men also guilty of gossiping ? Hell its true. So lets not get into details like who gossip more? men or women .
You might think why this post? But the conversations that I have overheard in the recent past has triggered to me to write this post and the question is whether gossiping ever justified? .

In the times when things are not going as expected in the organization, everybody thinks someone else is the cause for the problem. They start gossiping , hurting people's reputation behind their back. Okay I understand everyone is human and prone to make such comments (which again is not justified) during such crisis time, but I have seen people who rant even otherwise.

I have seen people who try to satisfy their ego in pointing out mistakes of others, laughing behind their back. They try to blow their own trumpet and use their knowledge to intimidate people. They even go to the extent of saying that they don't do mistakes in whatever work they do. They start believing that they know everything and stop being students. According me to people of this kind are damn pshyced up and are big loosers in their life. They think they are trying to win respect from others by intimidating them but its rather and sadly otherwise. They will fall under the eyes of other people, they are ignored, they are isolated, they will hate them. When people dont even smile at you when they pass by, that can be the biggest insult to anyone. Infact that's an indicator that you belong to the above category.

People who are knowledgeable are always humble. They don't indulge in loose talk, they are not rude to others, they don't try to show off, they don't hurt people,they don't laugh at others mistakes,they don't raise their eyebrows and say " Gosh u don't know this much? how did they hire you? " , rather they are always their on ur side -ready to help you, to teach you . You don't have to practice to be humble rather it comes with knowledge and maturity.

I am guilty of gossiping at times and I promise myself not indulge in such loose talks anymore.I have no right to preach others and also I cant stop others from gossiping but would like to end this post with some quotes which will make people think twice before gossiping.

"Words and actions of anger are like stones thrown at vessel, they leave a dent."

"Before treating a person in some way think what if you were treated the same way."

"Ego of knowledge is most destructive."

"Man is like a fraction, NUMERATOR being what he is and DENOMINATOR being what he thinks of himself. Higher the DENOMINATOR lower the fraction.

"There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."

"A person learns by his mistakes, if he hasn't learnt something, its not his mistake."

5 comments:

Stier said...

Hey Srik,

Nice post. Just thinking what made u write this though. :P

There are just two kinds of people i hate. One, the type of person who u have talked about. Two, a pessimist, who keeps seeing problems in each and everything. Whenever u meet them, there is some or the other problem. Agreed, everyone has a problem, but this type of person always has some or the other problem to complain about. The negative energy which they send out is what irritates me. You meet this person first in the day and there goes all ur good mornings down the drain.

[quote]
I am guilty of gossiping at times and I promise myself not indulge in such loose talks anymore.
[/quote]

Err... joining politics??? Promising to do stuffs which is somewhat difficult.
NOTE: I didn't say impossible.

[quote]

"Words and actions of anger are like stones thrown at vessel, they leave a dent."
[/quote]

Good one.. Wonder where u got it from.

[quote]
"Before treating a person in some way think what if you were treated the same way."
[/quote]

Hmm... OK. Come out. Who is this blogging using Srikanth's id? :-P

Gops said...

Too good!
I can't recount the number of times I've been guilty of gossiping!!! :)

But anyone in particular you're hinting at through this post? ;) (See, there I go again! :D)

Couldn't agree with you more about the qualities of someone truly knowledgable. As the Kannada saying goes "Thumbida koda thulukuvudilla". I'll add one more - taking responsibility for things. I see that you've referred to it tangentially, but I'd give it more credence :)

I didn't get this:
[quote] "A person learns by his mistakes, if he hasn't learnt something, its not his mistake." [/quote]
It _is_ his mistake, right?

Good one, Srikanth. I wish I knew you (and Arun) write when I were still in HP. It would've been fun discussing some of these issues!

Anonymous said...

Hey how come both of us are (sinking!)in same boat....

I believe this deserves to be an article in DH.

Well..Let's not get into psycological aspects of *Gossiping*.(I.e what makes people to do this.is it b'cause of superiority/inferiority complex,or do they try to defend by one or the otherway or can't they accept some facts etc etc)

All I am here is to write following.

My father always says
1)Dont talk about people.rather try to emphasize their characteristics.
I.e don't hate smoker.instead hate smoking and have reasons a,b,c ..n
to hate smoking.we still need to respect him as he might have some other *n* good things.

2)In worst case,if u have to talk about some person,then always think he is infront of you.


-Prasanna

Anonymous said...

Whats Gops'sipping :P

<-Sumanth>

Srikanth said...

Thanks... arun, gopal and Prasanna.

Arun- I completely agree with u what u said about 2nd type of person.

Gopal- what i meant to say in that quote is-- if a person is not aware of certain things and commits a mistake its not a crime. He learns by his mistakes and we should give him a chance to learn. Ofcourse there is boundary to this. He should not keep repeating the same mistakes.Then it shows his carelessness.

prasanna-- you made a good point, may be we should feel happy when someone gossips abt us. It could mean that we are in a enviable position.